Exterior Insulation Finishing System (EIFS), also known as External Thermal Insulation Composite Systems (ETICS), is a multi-layered cladding system that provides insulation and waterproof surface for exterior walls to improve the insulation effect of buildings. EIFS is composed of a heat insulation board as the primary material made of expanded polystyrene or mineral wool. It also contains an adhesive for bonding the insulating board to the substrate. It is then covered with a cement base coat with woven glass fiber reinforcement and a textured colored finish coat.
It is recommended to use our MelaColl™ cellulose products in EIFS applications to improve processability and enhance bond strength. Our Mikrant™ RDP products are also widely used in EIFS to enhance adhesion and cohesion, increase flexibility and impact resistance, improve surface abrasion resistance, and avoid crack and lump formation.
Our MelaColl™ cellulose products and Mikrant™ RDP product provide the following improvements to EIFS:
- Improved adhesive strength and flexibility: MelaColl™ and Mikrant™ have good thickening performance and lubricity, which can improved the adhesive strength and flexibility of EIFS adhesive.
- Enhanced water retention and extended working time: MelaColl™ and Mikrant™ substantially reduce the loss of water into absorbing substrates in formulations. The water retention ability of MelaColl also strongly enhances the adhesion strength of EIFS adhesives. This is because the binders have enough time for hydration and at the same time do not lose water.
- Optimized product consistency and rheology: MelaColl™ and Mikrant™ are vital key to adjust suitable consistency in fresh mortars. Suitable consistency enables fresh plaster to attach well on walls as well as to make surfaces smooth and be applied easily without the feeling of stickiness. The aqueous solution of MelaColl is a non-Newtonian system, and the properties of its solution are called thixotropy.
- Improved hydrophobicity: After add the MelaColl™ and Mikrant™, the hydrophobicity of EIFS have improved, waterproofing effect is significantly increased.
- Improved workability: Better leveling and reduced stickiness of MelaColl™ and Mikrant™ can be applied easily to EIFS adhesives, which easy to operate and construction, and can significantly improve the construction efficiency.
- Improve coating performance with excellent early strength: MelaColl™ combine the cohesion of polymer materials and the durability of inorganic materials. They can ensure the early strength of the mortar and other essential properties needed to EIFS and new construction.
- Good water resistance, good compatibility with general products: MelaColl™ substantially reduces the loss of water into absorbing substrates in formulations. The water retention ability of MelaColl™ also strongly enhances the adhesion strength of EIFS adhesives. This is because the binders have enough time for hydration and at the same time do not lose water.
- Exhibit high strength, strong adhesion, and alkali resistance: MelaColl™ has good retention, thickening property, Stable chemical properties effectively resist alkali attack.
Summary of frequently asked questions
What is EIF adhesives?
EIFS adhesives usually come in the form of dry mix, consisting of cement and modifying agents/additives.
What’s the application of EIF adhesives?
Adhesives are wetted with water before use and are generally designed for indoor and outdoor use.
What effect does MelaColl have in EIF adhesives?
---Improved adhesive strength and flexibility
---Enhanced water retention and extended working time
---Optimized product consistency and rheology
What is EIF based coats?
---The EIFS Based Coats is a cement mortar used to coat the exterior of the insulating layer in the EIFS system.
What is main function of EIF based coats?
--- It is an adhesive material covered with a reinforcing mesh to enhance the strength of EIFS and provide a leveling coating for the based coat and topcoat.
What effect does MelaColl have in EIF based coats?
---Improve coating performance with excellent early strength
---Water retention, compatibility
---Exhibit high strength, strong adhesion, and alkali resistance