Joint compound is also known as drywall compound, drywall mortar, or mastic. Its appearance is white powder. Consistency is high. It is mainly composed of gypsum powder, water and other additives. Therefore, it combines the cohesion of polymer materials and the durability of inorganic materials. It can ensure the early strength of the mortar and other essential properties needed to repair concrete.
As part of a drywall repair system, joint compounds can be applied to most problems with walls, including drywall joints, skim coatings, blemishes and damage on walls. Small holes left by drywall screws, cracks and scratches in walls, and other minor damage can all be repaired with joint compound.
Fundamental properties provided by our MelaColl and Mikrant products:
Our MelaColl™ MP products and Mikrant™ ET3060 are highly effective additives in joint compound. They can improve the its water retention capacity, which can avoid decreased strength and crack caused by excessive drying and lack of hydration. They can also thicken the compound to enhance its bonding strength and fluidity, thereby ensuring the it’s stability and workability. The list below illustrates the general functional properties provided by our products:
- Improved water retention: MelaColl™ and Mikrant™ substantially reduce the loss of water into absorbing substrates in formulations. The water retention ability of MelaColl also strongly enhances the adhesion strength of joint compound. This is because it have enough time for hydration and at the same time do not lose water.
- Improved thickening ability: MelaColl™ and Mikrant™ are used very often as a thickener in building applications as it prevents segregation and improves the cohesion of the formulation components. The viscosity of MelaColl depends on the degree of polymerization, concentration, temperature, shear rate, concentration of dissolved salts and modification.
- Improved workability: Better leveling and reduced stickiness of MelaColl™ and Mikrant™ can be applied easily to joint compound, which easy to operate and construction, and can significantly improve the construction efficiency.
- Reduced shrinkage and cracking: Excellent water retention of MelaColl™ and Mikrant™ can extend the open time, reduce the shrinkage and cracking formation.
- High early strength: MelaColl™ and Mikrant™ combine the cohesion of polymer materials and the durability of inorganic materials. They can ensure the early strength of the mortar and other essential properties needed to repair concrete.
- Increased adhesion: MelaColl™ and Mikrant™ have good thickening effect, It can enhance the consistency and bond strength of the joint compound, Suitable addition rate of it makes it has better adhesion feature.
- Increased hydrophobicity (water repellent properties): After add MelaColl™ and Mikrant™, the hydrophobicity of compound have improved, waterproofing effect is significantly increased.
- Optimized flexural and compressive strength: MelaColl™ and Mikrant™ can significantly enhance the ability of flexural and compressive strength of the joint compound.
Summary of frequently asked questions
What’s the main ingredients of joint compound?
Joint compound is mainly composed of gypsum powder, water and other additives
What is joint compound used for?
Joint compound is ued to clean imperfections from the drywall surface, such as the tape. It also used to finish drywall joints, corner beads, trim and fasteners, and skim coatings.